INVITEDbyRUK

Friday, April 29, 2011

Mango Meringues.... super easy!

While everyone else is watching Kate and Will's big day, I decided to occupy myself with some experimental baking. *I love weddings but the media coverage over the last few weeks killed it for me so in protest I REFUSE to watch it!*


I had left over egg whites from our dinner of Cannelloni tonight and instantly thought I'd make some meringues, but with a twist. I found this recipe for MERINGUE KISSES COOKIES and adapted it a little to make some mango flavoured meringues as was voted by the rest of the family, even though I wanted strawberry or lemon AND I'd like to add that I think MY flavour choices would have been even yummier!


INGREDIENTS:
4 egg whites
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 packet flavoured jelly of your choice
pinch of salt
pinch of Cream of tartar

METHOD
preheat over to 130 DEGREES CELSIUS
line baking tray with greaseproof paper
in a clean, dry bowl, mix eggs whites and pinch of salt and cream of tartar. Once eggs whites have become glossy and form peaks, start adding sugar and jelly crystals SLOWLY (about a tablespoon at a time). Continue to mix on highest speed, until all the sugar and jelly crytals have dissolved. You can check this by placing a small amount of mix on your fingers and rubbing them together to make sure it is smooth and you cant feel any grains of sugar. Continue to mix until the egg whites and sugar form stiff peaks.

Fill a piping bag with the mixture and pipe 12 small circles onto your baking paper. I chose to pipe into small cup cake patties for something pretty, but the little piped 'kisses' were cute too. If you want, add sprinkles. Put into oven and bake for 25-30mins (less time will result in a chewier meringue as opposed to the longer baked that are crispy).

Serve with some cream and fresh fruit, or scoff down by itself... YUMMMMMMM!

1 comment:

  1. o, and *TIP* DONT use vanilla essence... it isnt needed and makes the mix go a dark colour (which is why mine isn't a pretty yellow!)... so didnt need any Vanilla added at all!

    ReplyDelete