INVITEDbyRUK

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas shirt

I was inspired earlier in the year by a tutorial from thisgirllovestotalk who is VERY talented and demonstrated how to make reverse applique shirts for birthday's, but I thought I'd test it out for Christmas.

I got the kids plain white shirts ($3-$4 each) and had some left over fabric from a quilt I made for Miss 4. I cut my Christmas tree out using my Cricut, but no need for that, and you can cut whatever shape you like... baubles, presents, reindeer, star etc.

First lay your shirt out and trace your picture onto it

Next place your selected fabric on top to ensure you cut the right amount out to cover your design

Turn your shirt inside out and iron the fabric (face down) onto the design using an iron on adhesive, be CAREFUL not to place the adhesive on the part of your design that will show through, I just put it along the edges. 

Turn your shirt back the right way and stitch, either by hand or machine, around the traced line of your design. I chose to hand stitch as I find it easier and I am much neater this way, but machine would be super quick.

Once you have stitched around your traced design, turn the shirt inside out again and trim any excess fabric using pinking shears to avoid frayed edges

Turn your shirt the right way again and CAREFULLY trim the top layer away to reveal the patterned fabric underneath. I left a 1-2cm edge when I trimmed mine as I was worried I might slip and cut through the stitching. 

and you are done.... 

Mr 7 modelling his new Christmas shirt

I did want to add some buttons on as baubles but Mr 7 decided he didn't like that idea and asked that I leave it as it was, but you could try the idea of buttons, or bows, or even little bells! MERRY CHRISTMAS :)








No comments:

Post a Comment