INVITEDbyRUK

Friday, July 23, 2010

Felt flower headband

A few weeks back I saw some lovely headbands on this girl loves to talk and thought I'd love to make some. I finally got around to it this week. On inspection of my craft supplies though I had an abundance of felt and black elastic (left over from garter belts I made for a hen's night party), and always have a stash of buttons so had to alter my headbands a little for my supplies. I was still pleased with the results and they were simple to make, giving Miss3 a selection to play with now :)


Cut a strip of felt 5cm x 21cm. I used scalloped edge scissors to give my flower edges a rounded look, but straight edge scissors work fine and give a different look. Try cutting zig zags too!


Cut about 2/3 of the way into your felt strip to make a fringe. Then roll it up keeping the straight edge tight and coiled.

Secure the base of your flower with a few stitches running right through the middle of the base under the flower. This will stop it from unravelling when attaching it to the elastic.


Turn your flower over and find the centre, press your thumb into it to spread the petals out


Bring needle up through the centre of the base to secure a button as the centre of your flower.

Now you have a pretty flower to attach to elastic

Measure elastic around your head (or child's head) and secure the ends by stitching together.

Attach your flower by stitching the base of the flower to the elastic

All done :)

Here are some we have made the last couple of days... Im going to use all the elastic I have on me at the moment before I stop this craft I think!


and here is Miss3 being a very uncooperative model for me

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! im jealous.. can I borrow some Z???

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, she isnt the best at sharing! :) I resorted to the glue gun this afternoon and wow! I should have stuck with your idea of the gun, got things done MUCH faster... but all out of elastic now :(

    ReplyDelete