INVITEDbyRUK

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mock Stained Glass

Today we made fake stained glass windows. All you need is some coloured cellophane (cut up into small bits), cardboard and clear contact. As we all know, I am no artist, so my design is very basic, but for those with better drawing skills these would look alot nicer I think. My mum actually came to visit, last year, with some beautiful (and very complex) Christmas patterns to do this with, but I shall save them for closer to Christmas to show you all ;). So, here is our stained glass butterfly:


Fold cardboard in half and cut out butterfly wings (so it will be symmetrical)
with a sharp blade cut a 'boarder' out


so you end up with this and it opens up to look like this


Measure out some clear contact slightly larger than your design

Peel the backing off it and stick your design onto the contact

Place it sticky side up on a flat surface and trim any excess around the edges (*you could leave a small amount around the edge to ahere it to a window for later, but I prefer to use blutac*)

Decorate your design with small pieces of coloured cellophane until there are no spaces left
*you could cut cute little shapes out if you are supermum and not tired like I was

Mr6's end product

Miss3's

I also did the kids names, but wasn't prepared for my right thumb to be throbbing and numb after hand cutting each letter with a blade knife... OUCH! Lucky I only have 2 kids with relatively short names... if you have more DON'T try this at home because it REALLY hurts!! Yet another reason for me to buy that magical Cricut machine don't you think??


No comments:

Post a Comment